<< Back to Blog

Where to Apply for a Master’s with a Three-Year Undergraduate Degree

Where to Apply for a Master’s with a Three-Year Undergraduate Degree

Are you looking to pursue a master’s programme abroad, but are confused about where you should apply? As each country has its own admission requirements and application processes, navigating this can be quite daunting. One of the easiest ways to narrow down your list is to look at the specified number of years of undergraduate study required. Depending on where you would like to apply, you will need either 15 or 16 years of study before sending your application for a postgraduate programme. Read on to know more about applying to some popular countries.

Where can I apply with a three-year undergraduate degree?

Countries such as the UK, Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong and India offer a three-year undergraduate degree. So, naturally, if you are planning on pursuing your master’s degree in any of these countries or moving from one to the other, you can be sure that your bachelor’s degree will be accepted regardless of the degree-awarding university.

What about the US and Canada?

Undergraduates in the US, Canada, Scotland and sometimes even Ireland study a four-year programme and as such, students who want to pursue a postgraduate degree in these countries need to complete a four-year programme. The only exception to this is if a student has completed a three-year undergraduate degree from a UK institution, as most consider the UK’s course curriculum equivalent to their four-year programme of study. If the intended college does not specifically mention a 16th-year requirement, then you should write to them for confirmation about the requirements.
If you have completed a three-year bachelor’s degree in India and are planning to apply for a postgraduate programme in North America, keep in mind that most institutions in these countries do not consider the three-year programme from Indian universities and colleges rigorous enough for a masters course at their institute. However, some colleges may go out of their way to understand and even accept your degree if it has been assessed by the World Education Services (WES). You can send your credentials for evaluation if you have studied in an institute that is accredited by the Indian National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) with a letter grade of ‘A’ or above and have gained a Division I (60-75 percent) or higher. Post this, you can contact the colleges that you wish to apply to and check if they would consider your three-year degree. If they don’t, you will need to study for another year before you can apply.

What can I do if I want to apply to a postgraduate programme that requires 16 years of education?

If your choice of course and college requires a four-year undergraduate degree, then the easiest way is to apply for a one-year post graduate diploma course to add a year. In India, a few colleges have a one-year liberal arts diploma programme that can serve as the extra year. Alternately, you can apply to a PG diploma course from the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) or a PG diploma from a state university. Apart from this, you can also enrol in a full-time master’s programme–usually two years in India–and apply after completing one year. Note that the plan to leave after the first year is only possible for subjects that fall under the social sciences like sociology, political science, international relations, communication and business-related programmes. However, for psychology and pure sciences, it is recommended that you complete both years before going abroad. While there is no right or wrong subject for your 16th-year requirement, you need to choose a subject that aligns with your future goals. So, if you are planning to apply for a master’s programme in finance, a one-year diploma in mathematics or financial management can help you meet your college requirement while also being relevant to your master’s degree.

Whether you finish your undergraduate degree in three or four years, there’s nothing stopping you from setting your sights on your choice of college in your preferred country. With planning and proactivity, you can chalk out an effective road map for yourself. In case you still find yourself standing on the crossroads of which country to consider, read our blog post on six destinations to consider for your master’s or get in touch with us for further assistance.

Enjoyed This Post? Share!
Share it on:
Get In Touch

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The fundamental role of independent educational consultants is to help students explore college opportunities and find the right place for them to succeed academically and socially. IECs don’t get students admitted—they help students demonstrate why they deserve to be admitted at appropriately chosen schools. They help students find colleges they might not have heard of—often out of their region—and they help students put their best foot forward.

Here are 5 things families should consider when looking to hire an IEC:

  1. Does the IEC belong to a professional association such as IECA with established and rigorous standards for membership?
  2. Do not trust any offers of guaranteed admission to a school or a certain minimum dollar value in scholarships.
  3. Ensure that the IEC adheres to the ethical guidelines for private counseling established by IECA.
  4. Find an IEC that visits college, school, and program campuses and meets with admissions representatives regularly in order to keep up with new trends, academic changes and evolving campus cultures.
  5. Do they attend professional conferences or training workshops on a regular basis to keep up with regional and national trends and changes in the law?